Question about the placement of search answers

Home Forums No Jorges Like Borges Question about the placement of search answers

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  messiah 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Bob Pagani

Why do my search answers always seem to be in the vertical center of the page and tend to be on the right side so that they finish on a second line? I want to take you at your word about the nature of what you’ve made here but that suggests (at least to my feeble brain) that it’s “rigged.” That is to say, that the site just places whatever you type into a random bunch of words or gibberish at the same location. Please explain why I’m wrong about that (which I hope I am).

#290 Reply

Jonathan Basile
    Keymaster

Hey Bob – the search function doesn’t look through pages of text for matches, it computes the location of books by inverting the random number generating algorithm which produces them. I’ve described this at greater length here: https://libraryofbabel.info/theory4.html.

When it does a match with random characters or random words, it adds random characters or words to the search string, then computes the location of the resulting string. The searched for text is in the middle of the page for the first result because the algorithm adds random characters equally to the beginning and the end of the search string.

#17614 Reply

messiah

u should publish the source

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Question about the placement of search answers
Your information: