Browser Stalling?

Home Forums Code, Bugs, Suggestions, Questions Browser Stalling?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jonathan Basile 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Jonathan Basile
    Keymaster

I have heard from some people that their browser will lock up periodically when attempting to follow links on the site. It’s something I want to fix, but it has been difficult for me to test the problem because I haven’t been able to reproduce it. If it happens when you are browsing the site, please let me know what page you were on and what link you clicked when it happened (I think it may have to do with the length of the book locations or the method used to pass them between client or server – so let me know if you reached the book by random, search, or some other way – that will tell me if the browser is using a GET or POST request)

#268 Reply

Kirk

Originally, after using the search function and my 1864 character count story, which did contain capitals before being pasted in, my browser (google chrome) froze (not responding) for about 5-8 seconds a few seconds after returning search results. On my second and third attempt, it did not freeze until after I’d clicked on ‘more random word matches,'(after having initial results displayed, and no hangups no matter what I clicked, scrolled etc.) and the results were displayed, at which point, 4 seconds passed, after which my browser froze for 5 seconds. Clicking on a search result at this point, after the freeze has come and gone, causes an immediate freeze, then loading, and then display of text result. From here, going back a page and clicking different results does not result in any freezing, nor does clicking on any of the other options on the initial search result, or clicking on their sub-results. It appears to be in my case an initial two-freeze process, after which all results are stable in the browser. Re-performing the search from homepage->search->search a fourth time causes no freezing, no matter what links are clicked. Hope I could help.

#269 Reply

Kirk

I’ll also point out that it’s not entirely systematic. For example, in one search, no freezing occured on display of initial results, or upon clicking ‘more random word matches’, but then clicking a location there caused a freeze. Most searches, now, are not resulting in freezes.

#273 Reply

Jonathan Basile
    Keymaster

Hey Kirk,

Thanks for letting me know. My guess now is that this is primarily related to traffic on the site. The first time I heard about this problem was the day the site was posted to Hacker News, which was a high-traffic day. Then I received no reports of the problem until today, when the site is on reddit (and more people have visited it in a day than I thought ever would, even if it outlived me).

Still something seems strange to me – from your description it sounds like sometimes the stalling happens after a page has loaded, and before you click another link to load a new page. is that correct? if so that would suggest some sort of problem with the javascript, but the search page is very light on that…

#278 Reply

Kirk

Yes, that is when this happens (after page load, before clicking on new link). My first search (today) since my session yesterday brought up initial results, was fine for a few seconds, and then froze. Clicking on ‘more random word matches’ yielded the same, no problem for a few seconds, then freeze. On every freeze, a shadowed window (about a sixth of the browser screen space in size) is visible half-way through the freeze, which remains until the end of the freeze. Only the bottom and bottom-right sides are visible. The freeze occurs whether or not I scroll or click on the page at any point before or during.

Through about 10 searches, I’ve only been able to replicate the above. Clicking on a link has not caused an immediate freeze, as before.

#281 Reply

Jonathan Basile
    Keymaster

Very strange. I’ll have to look into it. Thank you again for the detailed description.

If anyone else reading this has similar problems – please let me know.

#301 Reply

Jasper

Hi,

I believe it is to do with the browser attempting to display the full name of the hexagon as mouseover text, and the very large string length causing it to lag.

#303 Reply

Jonathan Basile
    Keymaster

Thank you! You are correct. As far as I can tell it only happens on Windows, which is why I didn’t notice it sooner.

I’m going to remove the title tags from all of the book links, so if anyone would like to see the full hexagon name, the quickest way is to go from the book page to the browse page (the link at the top of the book page’s navigation bar). The full hexagon name will appear in the text area on that page.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Browser Stalling?
Your information: