29^5 possible title matches is too low or i am crazy

Home Forums Code, Bugs, Suggestions, Questions 29^5 possible title matches is too low or i am crazy

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Muph 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Muph

Okay, imagine I’m searching for a book named cmmwyts surhc which someone else have seen before. I would like to know the secret information written on the page 58, but I know only the first line of that page. I also happen to know the wall-shelf-volume location of the book, but the hex number is unknown to me.

let’s say there are only 29^5 (= 2*10^7) possible matches.

Now assuming that books spread regularly across walls/shelves/volumes, provided that I know the exact wall-shelf-vol location of the book in a hex, I should be left with around 4*10^4 matches on given w-s-v location.

Thats pretty damn small amount! Now I can look through all of them in reasonable amount of time, until I find the one with the matching first line.

But this should not be possible! Why? With this method, I could reference any page with information size of 3200 chars with just a line of text and w-s-v location info, and this allows me to infinitely compress any data to just one page reference, which in the end violates the pigeon-hole principle. (see this)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Reply To: 29^5 possible title matches is too low or i am crazy
Your information: